TEACHING CULTURE - SOME BASIC PRINCIPLES
1. Cultures are not monolithic.
2. Facts alone are not enough.
3. We have to try to objectify.
4. We need to get away from stock images and stereotypes.
5. The relationship between culture and language is important.
6. It is important to compare and contrast.
7. Individual insights and experience are important.
8. How do the general and the specific relate to each other?
9. An element of discovery learning is essential.
10. We need to keep in mind broader educational principles (eg notions of
lifelong education, empowerment etc).
11. The European dimension is important.
SG, Vilnius ’99